Reports to: ADMINISTRATOR AND/OR FACILITY MANAGER
Job Summary – Full-Time (40+ Hours Per Week) & Part-Time
This position will require an individual at least 21 years of age with the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of the needs of the program participants served in a Children And Non-Minor Dependents (NMD) residential setting;
- Skills and abilities to engage and develop a rapport with Children And Non-Minor Dependents (NMD) who have various backgrounds;
- Skills and ability to provide consistency and behavioral limits through relationship-based interventions;
- Skills to communicate effectively with the ability to solve problems in a collaborative manner.
The length of stay for our program participants can range from one to several months, depending on their specific needs. With every person in our group home, our goal is to encourage and support them so they can return to their home and community as a confident, happier person.
Minimum/Desired Qualifications and Experience
DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL shall meet one of the following criteria:
- A Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree
- Completed 12 semester units of Early Childhood Education, Adolescent Development, or Foster and Kinship Care Education and have 100 hours of experience working with youth
- Completed Year 1 & 2 of Direct Support Professional (DSP)
- Valid Child Development Permit
- Valid Alcohol Counselor, Drug Counselor, or Alcohol and Drug Counselor Certificate and have 100 hours of experience working with youth
- Valid Vocational Training Certificate, Credential or documentation stating the individual is a trade journey person and instructs vocational skills to children and have 100 hours of experience working with youth
- Sample Responsibilities and Duties
The list is neither inclusive nor exclusive, but indicative of several types of duties performed such as:
- Supervise, protect, and care for Children And Non-Minor Dependents (NMD) individually and in groups at all times.
- Assist each participant in working with a group and in handling individual problems.
- Administer discipline and setting of limits for behavior.
- Notation of the Children And Non-Minor Dependents (NMD) progress; identification of the possible need for additional professional services; and communicate such findings to professional staff.
- Assist with the provision of or access to core services and supports, daily activities, and emotional and social supports, as necessary.
- Perform household duties directed towards developing Program Participants’ self-help skills; may be performed by the participants in placement.
- Program Participant participation in these duties shall be voluntary and specified in their individualized Needs and Service Plan. No household duties shall go undone because a Program Participant refuses to participate.
- Report to the Facility Manager and make recommendations to address identified problems.
- Any other duties that may be necessary to ensure the health and safety of Children And Non-Minor Dependents (NMD) in the facility.